For People With HD/JHD & Their Caregivers
By Lauren Holder
Figuring out what to get someone who has Huntington’s disease can become more and more difficult as the disease progresses.As promised, here is a list of great gift ideas for a person with HD/JHD, as well as some ideas for the caregivers! Happy Holidays!
- Subscription to Netflix or Hulu or Audible
- Weighted blanket
- iPad or tablet
- Mighty Mug – https://themightymug.com/
- Gift certificates for getting nails or hair done, etc.
- Gift certificates for ice cream or lunch
- Weighted pens/pencils
- Adult coloring books with markers (Osborne Big Color by Numbers Book, Books Dream Big, Draw Bigger, Draw, Doodle Design & Doodle Imagine, Draw) You can find these on Amazon.
- “Tickets of Love”
This is a personally-made booklet of coupons that is filled with little gifts the giver (child or adult) wants to give the recipient. For example:
- This coupon is good for a free foot rub, or
- A free hair wash and style,
- A free nail-coloring session,
- An afternoon walk,
- A picnic lunch,
- A reading from a favorite book, out loud,
- An afternoon ride to the ocean (lake, park, etc.)
Other Great Ideas
- Chapstick (a good stocking stuffer item!)
- Slipper socks with ‘treads’ on the bottoms
- Funny, colorful socks
- Gloves, winter hat, and/or scarf
- Purifying Salt Lamp
- Essential oil diffuser
- Motion detector lights inside and outside the home
- Electric toothbrush
- Memorabilia from favorite sports team(s) (i.e., jersey, t-shirts)
For the Caregiver
- Gift certificate to a local cleaning service
- Hire a Virtual Assistant for an hour or two every month to help with staying organized.
- Create a break for the caregiver! Schedule it, make the plans for them, oversee the help (i.e., getting a manicure or having lunch with a friend).
- “Host the holidays” – Decorate the inside and outside of the home, take care of the planning or the cooking, etc.
- “Tickets of Love” (See above.)
***Please check out https://dailycaring.com/the-11-best-holiday-gifts-for-caregivers/ for these and other ideas for caregivers!***
You can also listen to Help 4 HD’s archived program about gift giving on BlogTalkRadio. Listen to Katie Jackson and Lauren Holder’s discussion at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/help4hd/2018/12/12/gift-giving.